Saturday, September 4, 2010

AUGUST 24, 1946-AUGUST 24, 2010

Well, by far - in my 55 years of life - August 24, 2010 will reign as one of the hardest days of my life - to date. August 24th was my parent's 64th wedding anniversary AND it was the day that my Mom and I put my Dad into the nursing home. It was incredibly as horrible as you could possibly imagine.

My Dad has been having a horrible time with his balance and it has only gotten worse. My Mom has been his total care giver for 64 years and on her birthday 8/18 Dad took a bad spill and he took her down with him and she was also hurt.

I raced home and spent a week helping get everything in order (my brother John and his wife were thousand of miles away in Nova Scotia Canada on vacation) to get Dad placed into a nursing home because it was now very clear to us that Mom could no longer handle him alone at home. She herself was getting less mobile with her two very bad knees.

My employer was very understanding and my family held it together here at home while I stayed and got everything lined up and in place. Dad has a very nice room, and he is being well taken care of. Of course not as good as if Mom was doing it, but he is getting treated very nicely and he seems to be doing okay. There is a lot of adjustment than needs to be done and that will take time. We got him a tv and my Mom goes to see him every day. I will be going home on 9/11 to check up on everything and make sure Mom is taking care of herself as well. My brother John is now back from vacation and he will also check on her as well.

I never wanted my Dad to go into the nursing home, but I just did not see any other way. I still have so much responsibility here at home............I could not just quit my job and leave my family to go live with my parents indefinately. And my home here is not at all elderly friendly. Two floors, cold, drafty and not close to a hospital or any of their doctors. No, there just was nothing else to be done. I know that I carry some guilt about that , but I have to let go and trust Jesus to make up the difference of my short comings. He is good at that!

My parents did so much for us kids - I wish I could do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment